Food Access in Out of School Time
Today, 243,000 children are at risk for hunger in Maryland.
The Maryland Out of School Time Network is an active participant in the Governor’s Partnership to End Childhood Hunger. The Partnership has chosen to focus on increased utilization of existing federally funded opportunities like the At-Risk Afterschool and Summer Meals Programs.
MOST is working to make sure out of school time programs are aware of the available nutrition programs and also can help connect youth and their families to important resources. For example, if a young person is eligible for Free and Reduced Meals – they and their families may also be eligible for additional benefits.
Links & Resources
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) Infographic: Apply and receive meals today!
- Maryland State Department of Education - School & Community Nutrition Programs - Get information on how to become a sponsor or a site for the summer meals program of the afterschool snacks and meals program.
- Maryland Hunger Solutions - The local affiliate to the Food Research and Action Center, MDHS has a variety of resources including tool kits and small grants programs to support afterschool and summer meal expansion.
- University of Maryland Extension Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program - Offers nutrition education programs to help Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) households and those eligible for SNAP. FSNE programs are provided at no cost to support the work of community agencies serving SNAP-eligible individual
Additional Food Access Resources for Families
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) - The Maryland WIC Program is a supplemental nutrition program for women, infants and children under 5.
- Food Supplement Program (FSP) - The Food Supplement Program (FSP) formerly known as Food Stamps helps low-income households buy the food they need for good health.
- Department of Human Resources, Maryland SAIL - SAIL is the online portal to learn about and apply for benefits including food programs, energy assistance, child care subsidy and more.
- MOST's SAIL Toolkit - MOST developed a tool kit for out of school time program providers on how to use SAIL to support families