STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
STEM in OST is a bridge between youth development and education that offers young people “hands-on, minds-on” intentional and relevant learning opportunities. The OST environment is perfectly suited for students to pursue STEM avenues, and inspire further exploration of STEM careers. The long term vision of the sySTEM Learning Community initiative is that all school-age youth in Maryland have access to high quality STEM learning opportunities.
Advancing Out-of-School Time STEM Statewide
Partnership building with local STEM programs
Providing STEM AmeriCorps VISTAs to enhance program capacity building and resources
Sharing info on grants, new research, and OST STEM events and programming through our E-Newsletter, Website and Social Media
- sySTEM learning community provides a network of support and resource-sharing between youth serving organizations offering STEM opportunities.
Supporting new STEM Initiatives
- Technovation: Created by Iridescent Learning, this global all girls programming competition challenges students to create mobile applications that solve a problem in the community. MOST coordinates the Technovation experience for Maryland Teams.
- Baltimore City Robotics Center: MOST provides administrative support to the Baltimore City Robotics Center, located at 1001 W. Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21223. The BCRCsupports the expansion of robotics opportunities for Baltimore City youth, engages young people in variety of STEM and technology learning opportunities, and promotes career and college awareness and preparedness.
Learn more about our local STEM Partners:
- Code in the Schools - Offering high-quality computer science education to Baltimore City Public Schools
- FutureMakers - Young children can explore tinkering, digital fabrication, and more
- Digital Harbor Foundation - Technology center where students (and teachers) develop digital-age skills through maker activities and entrepreneurship
- Let's Go Boys and Girls - Empowering and supporting students to become STEM professionals through hands-on curricula
- Maryland Science Olympiad - Providing Maryland's students with diverse and fun STEM competitions
- UMBC/NASA's BEST- Bringing engineering principles alive for young students
- University of Maryland Extension, 4H- the nation's largest youth development organization with offices in every county, provides a variety of STEM focused trainings for afterschool program staff